Film holds its place as the most lucrative form of storytelling, so I’ll give the Oscars a few lines here.
- Un-nominated actors as hosts? Working material and scripts for humor. Delivering lines. Some are calling for a return to comedy. The show needs LIVE spark. Read more here.
- Oscar tradition casts previous year’s winners as this year’s presenters. But where were Monique and Christoph Waltz. (from Roger Ebert)
- The show ended early (for us in the Mountain time zone). Not enough to show?
3 things I liked about the 83rd Oscars:
- Best Picture montage with audio of emotional WW2 speech from “The King’s Speech.” Look for the “Best Picture Compilation” (3:12) here.
- Randy Newman speech - playful jabs at Academy, with genuine appreciation. Remember that his pop songs carry the water for his social commentary.
- 10 films up for “Best Picture” a little large, a bit unwieldy, but good intentions for high-profiling more films.
See you at the movies.